Police takes a lot of drugs – level 2
During 30 different drug finds, the American Coast Guard seized one billion dollars’ worth of cocaine and heroin from narcotics smugglers at sea. The Coast Guard loaded the narcotics at the US naval base at San Diego. The 32 tons of 100% pure cocaine could produce around 33 million lines of the drug.
During the past year, the Coast Guard has netted 59 tons of drugs off the shores of Mexico and Central America. That is more than it seized during the three previous years.
People will move the drugs to a secret location and destroy them.
Difficult words: seize (to take something officially), smuggler (a person who smuggles something – moves something abroad illegally), net (to make money in total).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about all of these drug problems?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.