Policeman saves a man – level 2
An American policeman was on his routine patrol when he saw a man. The man stood on the edge of a bridge.
The policeman stopped but the man told him to go away. However, the policeman realised that the man wanted to commit suicide, so he got out of the car and ran towards the man. Just as the man jumped, the policeman caught him and dragged him to safety.
We don’t know who the man is, but a local hospital is evaluating him.
Difficult words: commit suicide (to kill yourself), drag (pull), evaluate (watch somebody to get information about them).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How do you think the man who wanted to jump felt after he was saved?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.