Politics in Sudan – level 1
Omar al-Bashir is the president of Sudan. He is overthrown. After this, the country is not stable. The military takes power.
People protest. They want democracy. One demonstration ends badly. One hundred people die. This makes people angry. They protest in the streets. In the end, they make an agreement with the military.
The people and the military will be in power for three years. After three years, people can choose their leaders.
Last Thursday, somebody tries a revolution. The military stops him. They arrest 16 people. They are looking for more.
Difficult words: overthrow (take somebody down from their position of power), military (a group of important soldiers like generals), agreement (a plan which is OK for both sides).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos