Pope apologizes to native peoples – level 1
In Canada, Pope Francis talks to the native peoples. He gives an official apology to them. He is sorry for the bad things that the church does.
From the 1800s to the 1990s, the church has residential schools in Canada. People take the native children from their families. They teach them to be like white people.
Pope Francis says the government lets the church do these bad things. He says the church does evil things. It destroys how the native peoples live. He says he is sorry again.
Difficult words: native (the first people, plants, or things of a place), official apology (an action to say you are sorry from a big organization like a church or a government), residential school (a school where children live instead of home).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.