Pope Wants Ceasefire – level 1
The UN Secretary-General says that he wants a global ceasefire. He wants to stop wars. He wants to fight the coronavirus.
Pope Francis agrees with him. He says that countries do not need to fight. He says that countries need to help each other. They also need to help people who can get sick easily. These people live in prisons. Other people live in nursing homes.
Earlier this week in Vatican City, there are six confirmed cases of coronavirus. A Vatican official says that the Pope does not have the illness. The people he works with do not have it, either.
Difficult words: global ceasefire (when the leaders of countries all over the world agree not to fight), nursing home (a place for old people to live), confirmed cases (prove that someone has a condition, such as an illness).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.