Power cut in Santiago – level 1
Here is some news from Santiago de Chile. It is rush hour. A lot of people travel. Something unpleasant happens. There is a power cut. It lasts for two hours.
Some people are in the metro. The trains stop. The people cannot leave. They must wait. After 40 minutes, they are able to leave.
The metro line has 30 stations. A lot of people use these stations. There can be between 5,000 to 6,000 people at every station.
Difficult words: rush hour (time when a lot of people travel to or from work), unpleasant (not nice), power cut (when electricity stops).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.