President to save Amazon – level 2
On Sunday, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva won Brazil’s elections, and he became the new president. From 2003 to 2010, he was the previous president, and during that time, he lowered deforestation in the Amazon rainforest by 70%.
In 2019, the situation changed when Jair Bolsonaro became the president. Since that time, deforestation reached the highest levels in the last 15 years. In protest, Norway and Germany stopped its financial help to Brazil, which could protect the Amazon. Lula said that he wanted to protect the Amazon and focus on sustainable farming.
The Amazon is the largest rainforest in the world, and many people call it the Earth’s lungs. The rainforest is very important because it lowers carbon emissions and global warming.
Difficult words: deforestation (the removal of trees in a large area), sustainable farming (farms which have little negative impact on the natural world), carbon emission (gases which planes, cars and factories make, and they hurt the natural world).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.