President’s Palace – level 1
Vladimir Putin is the Russian president. Alexei Navalny is a Russian politician. He is the leader of a group which fights against Vladimir Putin.
Navalny is a lawyer, too. He fights against corruption in Russia. He is becoming popular in the country.
Navalny makes a documentary. He speaks about a palace on the Black Sea coast. The palace is very large. The land around the palace is forty times larger than Monaco.
Gardens and a vineyard are on the land. A theatre is inside the palace. There is a place where helicopters can land. The price of the palace is 1.3 billion dollars. Navalny says that the palace belongs to Putin. Navalny says that Putin has money from corruption.
Putin says officially that the palace does not belong to him. Experts watch Putin speak. They say that Putin is afraid of Navalny.
Difficult words: corruption (when politicians or business people take money from somebody to do something), documentary (a TV program which gives information about something real), vineyard (a place where people grow grapevines and they make wine from it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.