Priest in the Philippines – level 2
A Catholic priest lost his job for a while because he was riding a hoverboard during Christmas Eve Mass in the Philippines. People who visited the church liked his version of a Christmas song, but his performance has since received a mixed reaction.
His bosses said that the Filipino priest’s actions were wrong and that he is now out of his job for a little while to take time to think about his actions. They hoped that this would act as a wake-up call.
81% of the people in the Filipino population define themselves as Catholic.
Difficult words: hoverboard (an electric skateboard), mass (a church ceremony), wake-up call (the moment when you realize you need to fix a problem about yourself).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think the priest did something wrong?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.