Prison break in Brazil – level 3
This footage filmed on a mobile phone shows prisoners from a Brazilian jail celebrating their escape after they dug a tunnel.
CCTV footage from outside the prison shows some of the men scampering across the yard.
In total, 13 prisoners were able to escape after digging the tunnel from inside their cell.
The convicts used a smart phone to record their daring escape and have even posted it online.
The footage shows the inside of the tunnel and the convicts cramped inside.
Local media has reported that the prison guard on duty at the time has been suspended after not checking the cell for nearly 60 days prior to the escape.
“The guard that was there on the day, that was looking after things, in the CPP, we now know that there had not been an inspection of the cell for almost 60 days. They dug a tunnel and it was easy to escape.”
Police have already managed to track down two of the escaped convicts.
Difficult words: CCTV footage (security camera video), scarper (run away), convict (prisoner), daring (risky), cramped (in a small space).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos