Prison Break on Sumatra – level 1
There is a prison on Sumatra. The prison is built for 300 people. There are 1,900 people in it. On Friday, 200 prisoners escape. They are out of their cells during prayers.
Police and soldiers come to the prison. They catch 50% of the prisoners on that same day.
Difficult words: escape (run away), cell (a prisoner’s small room), prayers (an event when people pray/‘talk to God’ together).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos