Problems in Germany – level 2
On New Year’s Eve, a group of men assaulted hundreds of women in Cologne, Germany. The women were “touched everywhere” by this group of men in the main station.
The attackers were of Arabic and North African appearances. In Germany, there are at least 1.1 million immigrants from Africa and the Middle East. There are already tensions between the Germans and the immigrants, and an incident like this only makes the situation worse.
People identified sixteen men, but police have not arrested anyone yet. People are angry at the police for not doing enough.
Difficult words: assault (to attack physically or sexually), appearance (the way somebody looks), tension (when people feel angry or upset).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about all of these problems?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.