Problems in UK clubs – level 1
Sarah Buckle comes from the UK. She is a student at the University of Nottingham. She goes out with her friends one night. Then, something terrible happens to her.
Sarah drinks alcohol with her friends. They are having a good time. Suddenly, the young woman cannot speak. She cannot stand up. She behaves strangely. Her friends worry.
Sarah falls unconscious. Unconscious means that she looks like she is sleeping. She does not react to anything. Her friends call an ambulance.
Sarah wakes up in a hospital the next day. She remembers nothing. Sarah finds a small hole in her hand‘s skin. It seems that someone injects her.
More women across the country have the same experience. The situation is serious. Some women do not go to nightclubs at all. They do not feel safe.
Difficult words: strangely (not normal), react (to say or do something), inject (when someone uses a thin sharp object to put a drug into a person´s body), experience (something that happens to somebody).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.