Problems in Venezuela – level 1
There is not enough food in Venezuela. People are hungry. They wait in long lines. When they get to the end, sometimes there is no food left. Some people riot and steal.
There is oil in Venezuela. People sell it and make money. They use this money to buy food.
However, oil is very cheap. There is no money for food. People must buy at the black market. Some things are 10 times more expensive there.
In May, there are 641 protests. 160 of them are about food. The protests are a problem for the government.
Difficult words: no food left (there is no food which people did not already take), steal (take things which are not yours), government (the leaders of a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos