Problems in Venezuela – level 2
Across Venezuela, food riots and looting are a daily practice and a big problem for the government. Venezuelans stand in lines for food for hours, but when they get to the end, sometimes there is nothing left.
Oil markets finances the supermarkets, but the oil prices collapsed under the current president Maduro and there is no money for food. People must turn to the black market where products, like milk or sugar, are 10 times more expensive.
Last month, there were 641 protests and more than 160 of them were about food. Venezuela’s angry streets are a bigger problem for Maduro than his political opposition.
Difficult words: riot (a violent/angry/dangerous protest), looting (stealing things during a riot), collapse (fall down).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos