Professor Stephen Hawking – level 1
This news is about a scientist. His name is Stephen Hawking. He is born in 1942. He studies at Oxford and Cambridge, in England. He is a cosmologist. He studies the universe.
Doctors find out that he is very ill. He cannot move. Doctors tell him that he will die soon. However, he does not die. He lives until 14th March, 2018. He is 76 years old when he dies.
Stephen Hawking makes important discoveries. He proves Einstein’s General Relativity idea. He proves that the Big Bang is the start of the universe. He proves that the universe will end in black holes.
Difficult words: universe (every planet, every star, every galaxy – everything in outer space), will (in the future), discovery (finding something new), prove (show that something is true).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos