Protest against cuts – level 2
In London, people protested in response to the new conservative government’s plans for public spending cuts. The protesters were worried that the cuts would hurt the vulnerable, such as the young, the disabled, people with mental illnesses and the elderly. The protesters said that the cuts weren’t fair as everyone else had to suffer for the mistakes of the few people who had money. One protester also said that the new government was not truly as popular as it said it was.
Difficult words: public spending cuts (when the government spends less money on something that helps many people), vulnerable (people who are easily harmed or hurt), suffer (to have problems).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this problem?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos