Protest in Calais – level 3
Residents and businesses in Calais, France, have been hit hard by the thousands of migrants who descended on the region after fleeing war and poverty in their countries.
Earlier this year, authorities dismantled the southern half of Calais’ so-called jungle migrant camp. France’s Interior Minister said that the rest of the camp would be dismantled but a date is yet to be confirmed. People think that more than 7,000 migrants live in the remaining northern half of the camp.
Some locals say that the government is not doing anything and they decided to protest. A convoy of trucks slowed traffic to a crawl in the protest against the impact of the growing numbers of migrants in the French port.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.