Protest in Nigeria – level 2
Islamists entered an all-girl school in a village in Nigeria last month. They packed the girls onto trucks and they disappeared into a remote area. They kidnapped the girls.
People want the girls saved, and they think that their government is not doing enough. Hundreds of protesters took to the streets last Monday. The march began at a popular bus stop and ended outside the state government house. People waved banners and chanted, “Bring back our girls!”
One protester said that this was a beginning. She said that more and more people will protest. The plan is to protest every Monday.
Difficult words: remote (far from a city), kidnap (to take somebody who does not want to go somewhere), chant (to say something again and again).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever protested?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.