Protests in France Continue – level 1
In France, people are angry. They protest against a fuel tax. They protest for two weeks.
Authorities do not like the violence of the protests. They do not like that so many protests are happening. They say that some extremists are taking over the protests.
This weekend, 17,000 protesters peacefully walk in Paris. Afterwards, some protesters riot. They destroy a shop. Police arrest hundreds of them.
Difficult words: fuel tax (extra money that you have to pay for fuel, gas or coal for example), violence (throwing and breaking of things and attacking people), extremist (a person with very strong views), riot (throw and break things in the streets and attack people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.