Protests in North India – level 1
This news is from India. It is about a man. He is a leader of a sect. This sect has 60 million followers.
Police convict the leader of rape. People come to the city where they convict him. There are around 200,000 people. They protest and fight. More than 23 people are killed.
Difficult words: sect (a religious group, often extreme or dangerous), follower (a person who likes and believes in something), convict (say that somebody is guilty of doing something illegal), rape (having sex with someone who does not want to have sex).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos