Purdue Can Pay – level 1
Opioids are a type of drug. Doctors give them to people in pain. In the USA, there is an opioid problem. Many people use opioids too much.
Between 1999 and 2017, 200,000 people die because they take too many opioids. Many people think that pharmaceutical companies make the problem happen.
Purdue is one of the companies. It makes the opioid OxyContin. The Sacler family has the company.
More than 2,000 people officially say that they think that Purdue contributes to the problem. Purdue is thinking about what to do. It has a plan. It thinks about giving away $10 billion to $12 billion to help this problem.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.