Putin wants nuclear weapons in Belarus – level 2
On Saturday, the Russian president Vladimir Putin said, that he would place nuclear weapons in Belarus, Ukraine’s neighbor.
Putin said that placing weapons in Belarus was the same as the US placing nuclear weapons in Europe. At the same time, he said that Russia wouldn’t increase the number of nuclear weapons.
NATO’s spokesperson said that Putin’s words were dangerous and irresponsible and that he repeatedly broke his promises.
Ukraine’s officials called for a meeting of the UN Security Council and asked the international community to take steps to stop Russia from using nuclear weapons.
Difficult words: irresponsible (not thinking carefully enough or not caring about the result of an action), repeatedly (again and again), international community (the countries of the world).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What steps can the international community take to stop Russia from placing nuclear weapons in Belarus?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos