Raccoon dogs in Mexico – level 2
People sent two raccoon dogs, which are also known as Tanuki dogs, to a Mexican zoo in July, 2013. The pair had nine raccoon dog pups – seven are male and two are female. The litter was born last April and made its public debut this week.
The proud parents provided their babies with all the care that they needed. The little ones are in good health and they are developing properly. They are eating apples, oranges, red meat, poultry and biscuits.
Raccoon dogs are similar to small foxes, but they have a mask around their eyes like raccoons.
Difficult words: litter (the group of young animals born to an animal at one time), develop (to grow), raccoon (a greyish-brown American mammal which has a foxlike face with a black mask).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like these animals?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.