Race of self-driving cars – level 3
A steering wheel steering itself! Pretty clever, eh? Well, a two-day driverless car contest kicked off this morning in Changshu in east China’s Jiangsu Province.
Up to 22 self-driving cars from 14 universities and research institutions are competing with each other. The competition’s called Future Challenge 2014.
There’re two categories – the expressways and suburban roads and the urban roads.
In the first-day race, these cars will cover 15 kilometres around a local lake. They have to make a 90-degree turn, one of the biggest challenges in the race. The performance is graded according to what you might want to call the “four esses” – safety, smartness, smoothness and speed.
This year’s contest is the sixth of its kind.
Difficult words: steering wheel (a wheel that a driver rotates), steer (rotate/move), kick off (start), suburban (of an outlying district of a city), grade (measure).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.