Racing on all fours – level 1
A race is held in Japan. This race is special. The runners run on all fours – they run on their legs and their arms.
An 18-year-old man wins. He beats a 30-year-old man. The older man was the best. He is now the second.
The winner’s time is 15.86 seconds. His hero is Usain Bolt. His favourite animal is the monkey. The older man is the inventor of the sport.
Difficult words: race (a situation when people run fast to win), beat (be better than somebody), was (past of “be”), inventor (a person who invents something – makes something new).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What is your opinion on the sport?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos