Reasons for yellow US school buses – level 2
Over time, most school buses in the US became the same yellow color. In the past, many children walked or used horses to go to school. Later, red, white, and blue busses took children to support patriotism.
In 1939, a professor at Columbia University met with teachers, engineers, and other experts. They wrote a document of 42 pages that was about school buses. Experts recommended to make the school buses yellow, because black letters on yellow can be seen easily. Also, yellow buses were more visible in bad weather.
The yellow color got its own name, and although no law says that school buses must be yellow, most of the 480,000 school US buses are yellow.
Difficult words: patriotism (the feeling that you love your country, and you are very proud of it), recommend (to say what someone should do), visible (something that people can see).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos