Referendum in Italy – level 1
In Italy, there is a referendum. The Prime Minister, Matteo Renzi, needs to win the referendum. He loses and now he wants to resign.
He has a meeting with his cabinet. He thanks his colleagues for great work. He goes to the Presidential Palace. He says to the president that he wants to resign. Some of the Italian political parties want to control the country. There can be political chaos. It can also affect Europe.
Difficult words: resign (say that you stop your work), cabinet (a group of people that work for you in the government), affect (change).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos