Reporter in Iraq – level 2
A Kurdish reporter tried to confront members of the Islamic State. He walked out into the middle of a bridge, and he asked the jihadists if they wanted to talk. Their territory was on the other side of the bridge.
The reporter put his hands up to show the militants that he was unarmed.
Difficult words: confront (to come to somebody and talk about a problem), militant (person who fights for a political change), unarmed (an armed person has a gun; an unarmed person has no weapon).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is there a way of improving the situation in the Middle East?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.