Return Rosetta Stone to Egypt – level 1
The Rosetta Stone is a black stone. It is more than 2,200 years old. It is very important for archaeologists.
On the stone, people write three similar texts. The texts are in different languages. The texts are Egyptian hieroglyphics, Greek, and demotic. The stone helps archaeologists to understand Egyptian hieroglyphics. They can better understand the Egyptian language and culture.
In 1793, Napoleon’s soldiers find the stone in Egypt. Since 1802, the Rosetta Stone is at the British Museum in London.
Egypt wants the stone back. Many museums are now returning objects to their home countries. Egyptian archaeologists hope that the Rosetta Stone will return to Egypt.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.