Rhino is born in Denmark – level 3
A baby rhinoceros was born at Copenhagen Zoo on Saturday, the first to be born there in 35 years.
According to the zoo, which released a video of the birth, it went smoothly and mother and calf are healthy and well.
Shortly after the birth, the little one, who weighed around 50 kilos, got onto his feet with some gentle prodding from his mother.
Some moments later, he took his first steps.
Mother and calf will now get to enjoy some peace and quiet before they’re shown to the public.
Rhinos are among the world’s most critically endangered species. Rhino horn is coveted in Vietnam and China as an ingredient in traditional medicine.
It is said to fetch up to 65,000 dollars a kilo on the street, making it more valuable than gold.
Difficult words: smoothly (without problems), calf (a young animal), prod (to touch carefully), peace and quiet (relaxation), public (people), endangered species (there are not many of these animals and they may die out soon), horn (a hard bone that comes off an animal’s head), covet (to value), fetch up (to sell for).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.