Rhinos in South Africa – level 2
There are around 20,000 rhinos in South Africa. That is about 80 per cent of the wild rhino population. Sadly, poachers slaughter these animals for their horns.
South Africa uses drones and rangers to protect the animals, but they are not enough. People there are building an army of trained dogs. Humans can only watch out for the poachers, but dogs can smell them. This is very useful.
South Africa hopes that the dogs will help protect the rhinos. People also move some rhinos to other countries where they will be safer.
Difficult words: slaughter (to kill), horn (a hard pointy thing on a rhino’s face), poacher (a person who kills wild animals for money).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you hate people who hurt animals?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos