Rich parents help children get into universities – level 1
Two rich US men pay money to get their children into the best US universities. They say that their children are athletes. Their children get into the universities. They are not real athletes.
One man pays 300,000 dollars. His son goes to a university in California as a basketball player. The other man pays 220,000 dollars. His son goes to the same university as a water polo player. Four years later, he pays one million dollars to two universities. He wants to know that his daughters can go there.
A court says that both men are guilty. They break rules. They pay bribes. It is not fair to students and parents who work very hard. It is important that rich people cannot do anything that they want.
Difficult words: guilty (when a court says that it is true that somebody does something bad or against the rules), cheat (when someone breaks rules because he wants to win or make money and so on), bribe (to give another person money to get him to do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.