Rio Has Money Trouble – level 2
Last year, Rio had trouble, but it successfully hosted the Summer Olympic Games. Six months later, the cost of the Games is a problem.
Rio cut power to the stadium, it cannot maintain the $20-million golf course, it has not changed the pool’s colour from green, and it now owns the larger arenas, as no one wanted to buy them.
The city still owes about $40 million, but Brazil is still in a depression, so it is difficult for the city to pay. It looks like the Games created problems for Rio and its people.
Difficult words: maintain (keep nice), owe (if somebody gives you money and you must give it back, you owe the person the money), depression (a bad economic situation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.