Robin Williams is dead – level 1
Robin Williams was an actor. He was famous. A lot of people liked him. He was 63 when he died. He hanged himself.
His family and friends are shocked. His daughter does not understand this. Why did he kill himself? People say that he was depressed. Maybe he had money problems, too.
Police are doing toxicology tests.
Difficult words: hang (Hang has two different meanings. The first is “to attach (or hang) something in a high position” (e.g. on the wall or on a hook). In this case we use the irregular verb Hang-Hung-Hung. BUT when Hang means “to kill someone by putting a rope around someone’s neck and leaving them in a high position without any support”, we use the regular verb: Hang-Hanged-hanged. This verb is typical of public executions in the past. (e.g. They hanged him in the main square.)), depressed (very, very sad), toxicology tests (tests which can tell if you have alcohol or drugs in your body).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you Robin's fan?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos