Robot works in a shop – level 2
A robot greets customers in a Japanese department store chain. The robot looks like a woman and works as a receptionist there.
People programmed her to speak Japanese, but she can also speak Chinese and Korean. Some visitors were surprised by the level of today’s technology.
However, the people did not program the robot to answer questions or handle complaints – human receptionists don’t need to worry about their jobs.
The robot will work at the store until May 5th. The company will then decide what to do next.
Difficult words: department store (a large shop which sells many different things), chain (a group of shops which are owned by one company and look the same), complaint (the act of complaining – saying that you do not like something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Will robots replace humans?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.