Ronaldo’s statue in India – level 1
Cristiano Ronaldo is a Portuguese soccer star. He plays for Manchester United now. He is born on the island of Madeira in 1985.
Many statues of Ronaldo are in different countries. A new statue of him is in Goa, India. Officials think that it will make young people more interested in soccer. Soccer is a very popular sport in India. Many people love Portuguese soccer.
Sadly, Goa is a Portuguese colony in the past. It is 60 years after Goa becomes free. Many people celebrate.
They are not happy about Ronaldo’s statue. They say there are many good soccer players in Goa, too. They say it is not a good idea to have a statue of a Portuguese player.
Ronaldo is so popular that Madeira names its airport after him. There are also several Ronaldo waxworks in London, Madrid, and other places.
Difficult words: colony (a country or area which another country controls), airport (a place where planes fly and land), waxwork (a model of a famous person made from wax, which is a material usually for candles).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.