Rose lights in Hong Kong – level 2
On Valentine’s Day, people lit 25,000 rose lights Hong Kong. The lights symbolise true love. The installation is part of Seoul’s Light Rose Garden World Tour.
The person behind the installation hopes that it will send love and happiness across the world, from east to west. The installation combines the western Valentine’s rose with its Eastern equivalent – the lights of the Chinese Lantern Festival.
Difficult words: installation (a piece of art), combine (to put together), equivalent (something similar).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How did you celebrate Valentine’s Day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.