Rubbish Cruses a Neighbourhood – level 3
In Colombo, Sri Lanka, a massive mound of rubbish sat next to a poor neighbourhood called Meetotamulla. The residents, who lived in tiny homes, protested against the health hazards of the situation, but then the worst happened.
The garbage collapsed onto the homes, killing 17 people and injuring 13 more. Soldiers were looking for any other people that might be trapped under the rubble. Over 600 people had to flee their neighbourhood.
One man said that when they would protest to the police about the trash dumping, those police would beat and arrest them. He asked that though those same police were there to help in rescues, what could they do now?
Difficult words: mound (a large quantity of something), rubbish (trash), tiny (very small), health hazard (a bad situation for your health), flee (leave quickly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos