Rugby at the North Pole – level 3
A group of rugby players have arrived at the North Pole after walking across 100 miles (161 kilometres) of sea ice in an attempt to set an usual world record. Former England rugby sevens captain Ollie Phillips, and former England fullback Tim Stimpson will captain two teams who will play the first ever rugby sevens match at the North Pole.
The group’s record attempt is in aid of the Wooden Spoon charity, the children’s charity of rugby. They hope to raise 300,000 pounds.
The team of trekkers flew from Resolute Bay in the former Northwest Territories of Canada before walking 100 miles to play the seven-a-side match in the freezing conditions. The team were expected to play the match on Wednesday.
Difficult words: attempt (try), former (ex-), rugby sevens (seven-a-side; each team has seven players), fullback (a type of a player’s role), captain verb (to be the captain of), trekker (person who travels a long way).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.