Russia in Syria – level 2
In Syria, Russia carried out its first air strikes. The Russian Defence Ministry said that it carried out 20 flights over Syria and hit eight Islamic State targets.
One of the targets was an Islamic State command post and an operation centre. Russia said that the strikes did not hit any civilian infrastructure.
However, the situation is complicated because when Russia says one thing, the West says another. The West says that the Russian air strikes killed at least 36 civilians.
Difficult words: target (something which you want to hit), command post (where an army gives orders), infrastructure (important buildings, roads etc.).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you trust the Russian media or the Western media?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.