Russian and the West – level 2
Russia carried out a large military drill. The drill involved 8,500 soldiers, 900 military vehicles, 50 warships and 200 warplanes. The drill took place in Crimea and a nearby region.
The relations between Russia and NATO are getting worse. The West criticizes Russia because of the situation in Ukraine, and Russia criticises NATO that more NATO soldiers are coming close to Russia’s borders.
Russia is building up its army. It is forming four new military divisions. A division is a large military formation with 10 to 20 thousand soldiers.
Difficult words: drill (training), vehicle (a thing used for transport), relation (the way two people or peoples are connected).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this situation between Russia and the West?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos