Russian Medallists – level 1
The Russian Olympic team has problems. It is involved in doping scandals. One hundred Russian athletes cannot go to Rio. Only 287 Russian athletes go.
However, Russia still does well at the Olympics. It finishes in fourth place. One hundred Russian athletes win a medal. The Russian Prime Minister thanks them. He also gives them BMWs.
Difficult words: doping (taking an illegal drug which makes you do something better), scandal (something morally wrong which makes a lot of people angry).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.