Russian Protestor – level 1
Pyotr Pavlensky is from Russia. He is a protestor. His protests are unusual. He often hurts himself. He sews up his lips. He puts a nail through his private parts in public.
In Russia, he sets fire to a government building. He goes to prison for 6 months because of this. Then he moves to France.
Pavlensky sets another building on fire there. This is a bank in Paris. He stands in front of the bank as it burns. Police arrest him.
Difficult words: sew up (connect with a thread like you connect fabric when you fix your clothes), government building (a building where people from the government work – the leaders of a place), arrest (stop and take to police station).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos