Russians Celebrate the End of Winter – level 3
Some Russians celebrated the end of winter in a special way. They organised a competition in sliding down an ice hill in fancy dress.
The 11 teams put on some crazy costumes and got on their home-made sledges. There were many people to cheer on the competitors as they went down the icy track. The winners were a team who slid the longest distance.
The team of Vikings won. They got a worthy prize – 300 square metres of land in the Russian countryside.
One of the winning Vikings, with an orange beard, said that the team will probably share the land. But first the Vikings will build themselves their own sauna. Vikings and the sauna – what more could you possibly ask for.
Difficult words: slide (move smoothly on a surface), fancy dress (a costume), sledge (a vehicle used for travelling on snow or ice), beard (hair that some men have under their nose and on their chin).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.