Safety in Mecca – level 3
During the Muslim holy day of Eid al-Adha, many Muslims made their haji pilgrimage to Mecca, where they went to a special site. There they performed an important rite called the ‘stoning of the devil.’
Two years ago, 2,000 people died there from overcrowding during a stampede as they walked on the bridge to the site. In response, Saudi authorities took measures to improve safety. There are more than 100,000 security forces managing the pilgrims this year.
One pilgrim said that although the area is crowded, there are many ways to move. Another pilgrim said that the government has done ‘its best to maintain peace in the area’.
Difficult words: haji pilgrimage (when Muslims make a pilgrimage at least once in their lives to Mecca), stampede (when many people panic), measure (a plan to take care of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.