Same-sex marriage in India – level 1
The top court in India says no to same-sex marriage. This means that two men or two women cannot legally get married.
The court says that the parliament must decide about this. The LGBTQ community is sad. They hope for a different answer. Five years ago, the court says it’s okay for people to love who they want. But now, it is different. The ruling party says that Indian families are only husbands, wives, and children. Many people asked the court about this in the past.
The chief justice says that the court cannot make new laws, just explain old ones. He also says that being gay is not something only for rich or city people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the opinion of the Indian LGBTQ community about this court ruling?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.