Scientists meet a sperm whale – level 3
A heart-stopping and beautiful underwater show, as a sperm whale in the Gulf of Mexico surprises scientists. Six hundred metres below the surface, the huge whale appeared in front of the team’s robotic submarine with their shock and delight also being caught on camera.
The mammals, which are endangered, are said to be both curious and intelligent with this particular one coming so close to their vessel that even the scars on its nose were visible.
The scientists, who were members of the exploration vessel E/V Nautilus, encountered the whale whilst conducting research off the coast of Mexico.
Difficult words: huge (very big), delight (pleasure, something nice), endangered (there are not many of them), vessel (ship), encounter (to meet), conduct (to organise and carry out), research (a planned, systematic study of something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos