Scottish referendum – level 1
Scotland has a referendum on its independence. Many people come to a square in Glasgow. These people want Scotland to be independent.
The Glasgow region votes ‘yes’, and the people are happy. The people at the square hope that everyone will say ‘yes’. However, most people in Scotland say ‘no’. Most people want Scotland to stay a part of the United Kingdom.
The people at the square get angry. They start to break things. Police arrest six people.
Difficult words: referendum (when people of a country say if they want something to happen), independence (being independent), independent (an independent country is not a part of a bigger country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of the referendum's result?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.