Second “Earth” is found – level 2
Scientists used NASA’s powerful Kepler telescope and they found a planet. It is about 60 per cent bigger than Earth, and it is located 1,400 light years away.
The planet is now known as Kepler-452. It circulates a star at a distance which is similar to Earth’s orbit. The planet’s star is similar to the sun. It is only older.
The planet is special because it is cool enough to have liquid water on the surface. Therefore, life could be possible on such a planet.
Difficult words: telescope (a thing which is used for watching the space), orbit (the way which a planet travels around a star), liquid (“normal”; not gas, not ice).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this planet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos